Our school was named after the Yendarra homestead, which was designed by an English architect and constructed in 1900 for Mr. James Goodfellow. ‘Yendarra’ is an Australian Aboriginal word for grape orchard or vineyard.
Mr. Goodfellow sold the property in 1920 to the Dilworth Trust Board. At that time, the property consisted of 200 acres with large stables and the homestead. We are told that the grounds were most impressive, with beautiful gardens and trees.
In 1932 Mr C.J. Lovegrove purchased the property, bred Jersey cows and planted an extensive orchard and a kauri tree.
At a later date, the property passed into the hands of Mr Noel Simpson, who sold it to the Crown as part of the Otara development. Yendarra School was then built and officially opened on Saturday 16th November 1968.